Goin’ down the road…
Before you embark on your summer road trip, be sure to put together a checklist of things that you’ll need to do to make sure that the memories you make are good ones.
- Check your fluids. Make sure that your oil is fresh and have it changed if needed. Consider using a synthetic blend if you are going a long way or will be hauling a trailer. It will help to prevent your vehicle from overheating.
- Check your engine coolant and windshield washer reservoir.
- Top off your brake, transmission and differential fluids.
- A quick lube job is also a good idea.
- Make sure that all of your tires, including your spare, are properly inflated to the manufacturer’s recommendations and have good tread.
- Check your hoses and belts for obvious signs of deterioration. Hoses wear out quicker close to the clamps that hold them in place.
- Look at the underside of the belts. Try to stretch them. If they give more than a half inch, you should have them replaced.
- Trickle charge your battery to its full capacity. The terminals should be rust-free and tight.